Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Honesty and Diplomacy

'Honesty is the best policy': something I learnt in childhood. But is it indeed so? I'm in a moral quandary. What is right? To be morally correct or politically correct; in other words, to be honest or diplomatic? I have always been pretty straight forward to the extent of being brutally honest in my communication. But this seems to be doing more harm to me than good. Probably, it is not wrong that I was being honest, but that the way I put things across in a conversation was inappropriate. Eventhough what I want to say is almost always honestly right, how I say it seems to be more important. The presentation rather than the purport, diplomacy rather than honesty seems to be more important. After a lot of soul searching and lengthy deliberation, I came to a moral stand point: why can't I be both? Why can't I be dipolmatically honest? Hmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment